AGING AND LONG-TERM SUPPORT ADMINISTRATION
Caregiver Assessment and Planning
This section of this site is for family caregiver service providers and stakeholders interested in learning about the family caregiver assessment and tailored planning process offered through Washington State’s Family Caregiver Support Program offices.
Read the Family Caregiver Assessment and Planning Information Factsheet (PDF) for an overview of why caregiver screening and assessment is being introduced, its importance and benefit to family caregivers, and an introduction to the Tailored Caregiver Assessment and Referral (TCARE®) model.
Additional resources and references:
- FCSP Expansion Report January 2013. A report describing the FCSP Expansion July 2011 through June 2012.
- RCW 74.41 law mandating the creation of an evidenced-based caregiver assessment.
- History of Family Caregiver Support in Washington State (PDF) an overview of the major milestones in family caregiving throughout the last 25 years.
The following is information from Rhonda Montgomery, PHD, researcher and developer of TCARE®.
- The Improving Care for Caregivers Webcast is an hour and a half webcast presentation on caregiving, TCARE®, and the benefits of a caregiver screening process.
- National TCARE® Site: This site provides care managers and family specialist with useful information as they implement the TCARE process with family caregivers they serve.
Caregiver articles based on TCARE® theory from the Washington State University Extension
- Coping with Stress discusses different types of caregiver stress or burden, consequences of not dealing with the stress, and strategies to reduce it.
- Caregiving is Different for Everyone discusses the uniqueness of caregiving experiences, how the caregiver journey can change you, different caregiver journey stories and how your own story can contribute to research.
Interested in other articles and links to a variety of caregiving topics? Check out the Caregiver Resource section of our site.
- Personal Caregiver Survey includes instructions and a downloadable copy for caregivers to receive and complete the initial TCARE® Personal Caregiver Survey.
The following publications can be read on-line or printed copies can be ordered free through the Department of Printing. Learn how.
Family Caregiver Support Program – Helping Family Caregivers in WA State
DSHS 22-1331 (Rev 9/09)
This two-page, tri-fold brochure explains the services and resources that may be available through Washington’s Family Caregiver Support Program and introduces a new screening and assessment process being used to better tailor support and services to a family caregiver’s unique needs. Great for conferences, mailings, trainings, or to have available in office waiting rooms, hospitals, or faith-based settings.
Downloadable Versions (PDF Format, requires Acrobat Reader)
Order print copies (English only)
Do You Know Someone Caring for an Adult?
DSHS 22-1334 (Rev 9/09)
This informational postcard is designed to help spread the word to anyone you know caring for an adult that he or she is not alone and help is available. Share with a friend/neighbor, customer/patient or other family member or order for conferences, mailings, trainings, or to have available in office waiting rooms, hospitals, or faith-based settings.
There an entire section of this site devoted to caregivers with more publications and other materials that may be of interest. Click here to see what is available.